Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Friday, November 23, 2007

The Holidays

I've always liked a formal dinner on Christmas Eve...all the fine china...crystal...silver...I can remember enjoying that growing up and have tried to continue it when possible over the years. I have always loved candles in the windows. One traditional gift....Robin knows...Thank you Notes. The art of letter writing has diminished over the years....fewer and fewer handwritten notes are ever sent. The computer generated letters with more news than anyone really wants to hear and emails have replaced them. To me, that is so sad. I have tried to encourage those I love by sending notes and still enjoy receiving one almost more than anything else. My mother and I exchanged letters for years and I have saved each one. I have letters dating back from the early 70's...Through the years I have received so much comfort, laughter and joy from re-reading them. Seeing the words she penned...hearing her tone in each sentence...remembering her wit...they are so personal. After my mother died, the letters became even dearer. I try to include a handwritten note in each Christmas Card I send. I like Egg Nog and Lebkuken and Fruit Cake...I used to enjoy Christmas Caroling...but haven't done that in years. I miss being in the Church Choir and performing during the holidays.
Thanksgiving and New Years are favorites of mine...Fried Turkey has become a recent tradition...and On New Years...anyone who knows me...knows....Sausage Balls and the Rose Parade.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I love getting letters, but I'm terrible at sending them. I need to write you! My letter will start by asking, "When are you coming to see me?"
If you want to go caroling, come up December 22......we will be caroling on a hayride...

Anonymous said...

oooooooh...that sounds fun.
I forgot to add one thing to my favorite traditions.....
MIRACLE ON 34th Street with Natalie Wood....just LOVE THAT MOVIE

Unknown said...

Do you know that I have NEVER seen Miracle on 34th, or The Christmas Story (that one makes my hubby crazy)or been caroling! I live a very sad life... Oh and I dont know if I've ever had a sausage ball either, though they sound maaaarvelous!!!!! I need to get crackin.....

Anonymous said...

If you watch Miracle on 34th street...be sure to see the original version with Natalie Wood...Buy Jimmy Dean sausage and the recipe is on the roll....you HAVE to try Sausage Balls...they are MAAAARVELOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll be curled up in my PJS with mine on January 1...watchin the Rose Parade