Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Sunday, December 16, 2007

You can't go back...


but it's nice when you feel like you've never left. Last weekend, after a long time away, I flew into Ft. Lauderdale for a two day reunion with the Ya Ya's. ( ever seen the movie? Well these gals are my BFF's, to use the vernacular.) After 9/11, life changed in so many ways. For me, life as I knew it at Delta would be changed forever. Everyone has a story...here's mine.


For anyone in the Corporate World you know there's always a new book your CEO is pushing everyone to read. All you need to do is walk through a bookstore and find the "Latest Best Sellers"...In 2001...it was WHO MOVED MY CHEESE. It really is a good little book...good message...and when our Supervisor made it mandatory reading...I should have known...there's a big change coming. A decision was made to close Delta's City Ticket Offices. My office in Palm Beach and the offices in West Palm and Palm Beach Gardens were CLOSED in November, 2001.

For 20 years this close knit group of women would be forced to go their separate ways. As it turned out...3 of us stayed with Delta...one in Ft Laud...one in Palm Beach and one in Tallahassee. The other 2 retired. When you spend 40 hours + a week with the same women, you share everything. We had our kids together...we traveled together...we experienced all that life has "together"...we helped each other with life's challenges...we laughed together...we cried together...we learned from each other. So parting was more than sweet sorrow. It was the toughest thing for all of us....so we made a pact! Meet regularly forever. At first it was every month...now it's probably once a year (occasionally more often)....but when we meet...it's as though we were together just the day before.

I know I'm the oldest blogger on our little circuit...so let me say this to you sweet young women...WORK HARD at your friendships. Don't ever take them for granted. I am so thankful for the women in my life. One day you will be so glad you stayed in touch. I know I am.


5 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

Good to here there are some places you can go back to and still have fun, I was begining to wonder! Keeping up friendships is work isn't it? I am so lazy, I'm glad Mike and Robin are diligent!

Anonymous said...

It can be but it is so worth it. I am so glad that you and Robin have remained in touch. The places you go back to are never the same, but there's a comfort in having the same friends throughout your life. I still have a friend from grade school that keeps in touch with me. We have SO MANY MEMORIES.I often wonder about the people God allows to cross our path in life...ISN'T it all SO AMAZING? You really have to cherish each one..and make the most of each opportunity.

DeeDee

Melissa said...

I'm so thankful that I have a best friend like Robin. Thank you for the beautiful post...You're an amazing woman, Sara.

CroppinRobin said...

Thank you for reminding us how important friendships are. I am very thankful that Melissa and I have been BFFs since I was young. I pray that Hannah and Jacob can enjoy that same kind of lifelong friendship.
Emily, you certainly are not lazy, at least not as far as I'm concerned. And I, like my mom and her friends, always feel that when we visit we pick up where our last visit stopped. Of course, this blogging thing certainly has helped us stay in touch.
Thank you, Mom, for being a wonderful friend to me and my friends.

Anonymous said...

You all are such an inspiration to me. I just love listening in on your conversations. We are such cool women ....LOL

DeeDee