Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Saturday, March 28, 2009

A longing...



I'm longing for a simpler life...my mom's life...not exactly...but let me explain. All I ever wanted was to be a housewife and mother. It sounds even more attractive now...when life has become so hard. I've even thought about selling everything and using the money to build a nice addition onto Robin's house, quitting my job...using my monthly retirement money for personal spending money and being the O'Donnell's housewife and "house mom". I could clean, do laundry,iron, watch my soap operas...cook dinner. Have everything sparkling and comfortable when Robin and Michael and the kids come home for the evening. I could act as "personal assistant" and keep their activity calendars...After cleaning up the dinner dishes, I could retreat through my french doors to my end of the house and plan the following day's menu, while watching Dancing with the Stars. I would wear an apron...I would pack lunches in neat little lunch boxes...I would always be home when the bus arrived after school. I would run errands, attend ALL the kids activities. I haven't figured out what I would do with Jason....LOL...but this idea is still in the planning stages,

Seriously, though, think about how the roles have changed in such a short amount of time. 1950's...Ozzie and Harriet, Mrs. Cleaver, Lucy Ricardo...the mom's were AT HOME. Who convinced us that was not enough? As a single parent, in earlier years, I understand the need to provide...but I got used to the role and then felt trapped in it. Don't completely misunderstand...I always loved my job and all the opportunities that it provided, I am so thankful for all of the wonderful people I have met because of it. I have learned so much about myself and how to deal with people...but honestly, my dream was always to be a housewife and mother. That's it.

Yesterday I was driving around the airfield with one of the airport Safety Managers. We were looking at space that Delta will lease to store catering supplies for our new South Florida service that begins from Tallahassee to Ft Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa...anyway...we got on the subject of the Explorer he was driving. It has only one door with a key lock, it's the driver door. So..he said, " Well it makes it impossible to open the door for a lady." And I said, "No, it just means that you have to unlock the door on the driver side first and then walk around and open the door for the lady and then walk back and get in on the driver side". He said what about Women's Lib. And that's when I said.....I am NOT A WOMEN'S LIBBER...not in any sense of the word. NO NO NO. We laughed, but I was serious.

What about you?

7 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

i'm ready to start breaking ground today......reversal of destiny!

Unknown said...

Let me just say that if, for some reason, Robin does not immediately snatch up that offer and begin building TOMORROW, I am offering a very cushy, beautiful addition that I am beginning to build NOW!!!! AND, Jason can come. Problem solved!! : )

gideonmommasita said...

I wanted to write something witty and thoughtful but erase what I wrote twice and it is past time for me to rinse the color from my hair and I really must dash...great post.

Melissa said...

Oh, I am a housewife and I feel trapped just the same. I am glad I'm at home and I wouldn't want anyone else raising my kids, but my heart screams for freedom from the craziness that is my life. I often look at things and wonder, how did I get here? I know it will be over before I know it and I will miss it.....blah, blah, blah....I've heard all that. I will start the bidding at $1 (because that's about all I have. You and Jason can come and he and Eric can build the addition. As long as you can learn to cook gluten free, there would be little else new to learn.) This is open for bidding, right?

As for men opening doors, I have been blessed. Until we had kids, Eric always opened my door for me. Now he opens doors for our kids. By the time we get them loaded it's just kind of silly for him to come back around and open mine for me. However, on the rare occasion we go out alone together on a date, he still opens my door for me everytime.

Dee Dee's Diary said...

Yes, Jason, too. That is something I just EXPECT and thankfully, Jason is from the 'old school of etiquette..and he is OLD, too.
Karen - I might be interested in coming there for the summer months. I have never been to Syracuse...I think I may have driven through once...I know we drove through Upstate New York on a car trip - I will have to look at a map to see if our route crossed through SYR. My college freshman roommate was from Buffalo.
Melissa - the Jason dilema would certainly be solved with Eric...those two might be a deadly combination though...but I imagine there would be MUCH DEEP CONVERSATION.
You women are both dear...I am still leaning toward the Baby's. She may not be.

Unknown said...

But Sara! havent you seen how stylish snow pants have become! Pish posh on the summer months! Lets go play in a snow bank (right after you bake me some cookies!!)

Dee Dee's Diary said...

OK, the only thing I don't like about snow is shoveling, scraping ice, driving in it. Like the snow pants idea...love the beauty of fresh fallen snow and how it covers up everything...always beautiful to look at. I did live in New England and in Maine for 9 years...used to deep deep snow and boots...but also remember cold fingers, a cold nose...it hurting to breath...maybe I should have bought SNOW PANTS. Love your posts, Karen.