Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Noteworthy


Friday night Jason and I went to hear the Tallahassee Symphony Orchestra. Last year I was trying to plan something special for Jason and decided that tickets to the Symphony would be ideal. Jason has always loved classical music. It was the best gift....I'm hooked. When tickets went on sale this year I purchased three dates. Friday was the European Tour. The program began with Mendelssohn, Symphony No. 4 in A Major, Op. 90, "Italian". There was a guest cellist, Gregory Sauer, who played Kabalevsky, Cello Concerto No.1 in G Minor, Op 49. I was completely taken in...transported to a place I have never been...the music was so beautiful...I was overwhelmed.
Following Intermission, we heard Hindemith, Symphonic Metamorphosis of themes by Carl Maria von Weber. We have seats in the Orchestra section, 2nd row...seats 5 and 6. Right up front. I love the violins...I love watching the conductor...I am beginning to recognize the different instruments by sound...something I am sad to say I couldn't distinguish my Sophomore year in college...sadly I failed a Music Appreciation class. My mind was elsewhere in those years.
Today, I am so thankful for a husband who appreciates the fine arts.

I am already looking forward to January

4 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

appreciation for certain things must come with age...just kidding
glad you had a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

You are getting closer to that time than you think...Jason's comment.
Hee Hee...
PS I received information on 7 nights of Opening nights...do you want me to purchase tickets for us to go to PRISM in February??????
I am DEFINITELY GOING!

Johnna said...

Have you gone to Pops in the Gardens (Maclay Gardens)? Jeff and I took the kids and a picnic dinner several years ago and loved it. Very nice, relaxing evening. It's coming up, Oct. 21st. You may want to check it out at http://www.floridastateparks.org/maclaygardens/Events

Anonymous said...

They actually talked about it the evening we were at Ruby Diamond. It sounded wonderful.
Will we see you there?