Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Boston Butt Birthday!



Hey there...enjoyed a wonderful birthday. I was starting to feel sorry for myself because unlike the Purpose Driven Life...I have always thought...It's all about me! (sidebar...if you haven't read this book, I think the first sentence is "it's not about you.") For the past 13 years we have spent my "birthday week", that's right...I get a week...in North Carolina with our dear friends, David and Linda. They are true friends who have indulged me for 13 years. My birthday week has become well known to the area residents. One year, when David and Linda still owned their own grocery store - TNT Market in Elk Park , NC...they put me on their sign up on 19E for all the passers by to see..."Happy Birthday Week, Sara!". My birthday week includes a card and a present every day of the week...it's kinda like my own personal Chanukuh...anyway...this year we were unable to go for our usual end of summer trip ( had to reschedule my vacation due to work issues). I was feeling so "why me?" when I decided to take the actual day of my birth off from work. Robin invited me to lunch and we went to a neat little bistro named SAGE. It's a popular spot of one of her co-workers, so we decided to try it. It was very nice. I had the quiche and salad. I just love home baked pie crust and their's was so flakey and buttery...just the best. Just spending time with Robin is always a treat...as many of you know. Then for dinner, Jason and I tried Harry's Seafood and Bar downtown. Last year when Jason's youngest brother, Adam, visited Tallahassee, we took him to the Capitol Building. It's a must see for visitors. We went to the top floor which is glass on all sides. You can walk around and see the best view of all of Tallahassee. We noticed this neat looking area and what appeared to be a restaurant. After inquiring, it turned out to be Harry's. We finally got around to trying it and it was WONDERFUL.
I have to say...my favorite item on the menu was my "side". I ordered GRIT CAKES! Oh my gosh....had I known how scrumptious they would be...I would have skipped my entree and ordered two sides. LOL. Robin gave PaPa a cookbook one year for Christmas, I think, and I found a recipe for Grit Cakes in the book. I also discovered why I like them so much....Grits, milk, Half and Half, BUTTER and FRIED. Don't ask me how many points...
Anyway...for all those who wished me well, sang to me, sent cards, bought me meals and hugged me....Thanks!!
Last night was the TOPPING ON THE CAKE, as they say...Jason made his famous Boston Butt and the O'Donnell's joined us for one more celebration. Guess I got a "week" after all.

2 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

People used to come into Cracker Barrel and ask for fried grits and I had no clue what they were talking about...sounds like you enjoyed them, sorry you didn't get your Birthday week in N.C. But I'm sure Robin enjoyed the day with you.

Johnna said...

Happy Birthday once again...and I love the title of this blog...made me laugh!