Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fond Memories


Cadillac Mountain near Camden Maine. When Robin was 5 months old, my mother decided she would fly up for a visit. We were living in a very RUSTIC cabin at the time (another post) and so she stayed in a log cabin motel in Skowhegan, nearby town. Wanting to make her trip worthwhile...sidebar - now a grandma myself I can tell you no extracurricular activities are really necessary - the grandkids make the trip worthwhile...I decided we would rent a car and drive up the coast to Camden Maine and Cadillac Mountain. There is a beautiful photo of my mom holding Robin with this same view in her baby album. I was just thinking about this day and how nice it was to do something special with my mom and my daughter. Making memories is so special and I am so very thankful that my mom was able to make the trip. I was thinking the other day, too, that she came to every place I lived at least once...except for this home in Tallahassee. She passed away in April, 2002 and we moved her in 2004. Take time to make memories, girls...it is so important to fill your mind with happy times with family. God brings them to mind just when you need them. Isn't is just amazing how the mind is able to store so much? And we can close our eyes and remember so many scenes in our lives. Looking at photos will jog the memory, too. While on our recent trip to Cincinnati, Holly shared some old photos. I really wish I would have taken a few. There were some of her wedding back in 1974, I think. I was wearing an aqua crepe pants suite that my mother made for a Lambda Chi Alpha Dance a few years earlier. I was crowned Sweetheart that year and I had forgotten how lovely that pants suit was. Mom made several evening gowns for me - my favorite was a dark green velvet dress with rhinestone straps. I felt so glamorous. If I had a scanner and knew all of the tricks, I'd scan it and share. But let me say this...the material was $15/yd. and it took 2 yds. I remember thinking that was SOOOO expensive. It was a beautiful dress and my mom did such a professional job with every detail. I still miss my mom.
Take care to cherish the time you have with family...get out and make those memories.

6 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

That dress sounds like a dream, the aqua crepe pants suit I'm having a hard time picturing but I'll take your word. We haven't plugged in our scanner since moving here 3 years ago, there are several pictures I would love to scan and post. oh well.

Dee Dee's Diary said...

The velvet was a sculpted velvet...deep deep green. It was above the knee...with thin thin rhinestone straps. The pants suit...maybe it wasn't crepe...it had beaded neckline and at the edge of the sleeves. Very pretty.Maybe Robin can help me figure how to get the photos online/

Anonymous said...

LOVE TO READ ABOUT YOUR MEMORIES...MY PARENTS CAME DOWN THIS WEEKEND & WE MADE MORE MEMORIES ---THEY BOTH GOT IN THE POOL & SWAM W/ ALEX-AAHHHHHHHHH-IT WAS SWEET SEEING ALEX SNUGGLE AGAINST MY MOM IN THE WATER-THEY HAVE THAT VERY SPECIAL BOND SINCE ALEX WAS BORN----JEEEEEZZZ-I'M CRYING WHILE I'M TYPING THIS(YEP-I'M A MESS) IT'S ALSO TOUGH AS I WATCH MY PARENTS AGE(EVEN THOUGH THEY CAN STILL DO MORE WORK IN ONE DAY THEN I CAN IN A WEEK)-AND IT WAS ESPECIALLY GOOD TO SEE MY DADDY "OUT OF THE HOSPITAL"! SARA DEAR-YOU KNOW I LOVED YOUR PARENTS TOO-LOTS OF FOND MEMORIES-FAMILY IS SO IMPORTANT------AAAAAAAHHHHHH

Melissa said...

Can't wait for you to get that scanner. I have so many fond memories of high school because of you, Robin, and Jase. Thank you...

Dee Dee's Diary said...

Melissa, we have many fond memories with you, too....and look forward to making many more. You will be pleased to know that we FINALLY joined a church. GRACE CHURCH in Tallahassee. You can check out their website. Also, Jason and I will be giving our testimonies on Aug 10 in Sunday School. Answered prayer.

CroppinRobin said...

what in the world did we do before blogging? how great it is to read the stories of our friends and family.
thanks, mom, for sharing history.