Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Why did you choose your china pattern?


Emily's post got me thinking about my everyday china pattern. I was a junior in high school and I was invited to Chicago to visit my Aunt Leora ( my mom's older sister - see photo...
L to R ...Lois, youngest, Leora, eldest and "the twins"...my mother, Lucile and my Aunt Louise. Affectionately known as the 4 L's. Anyway...I took my first flight on American Airlines, FIRST CLASS, and flew nonstop from Cincinnati to Chicago's O'Hare Airport. Many happy memories of that trip...
  • They gave cigarettes in F/C in those days. I got a little package of 3 Winstons on my tray and thought I was "something else"....LOL
  • I was taken to the Premier of Thoroughly Modern Millie, and saw Mary Tyler Moore and Carol Channing in person. Everyone was very dressed up, it was a "red carpet Hollywood like affair".
  • I rode on the L
  • I bought a beautiful Pendleton Wool KILT at Marshall Fields
  • AND I fell in love with my Aunt Leora's CHINA.
I made a decision that year that when I got married, I would register for Blue Danube. I was never sorry, never changed my mind. It's been 37 years and I still love it everytime I set the table. I have posted a blurb from their website...

If nobility ever had to claim a pattern for its own, then Blue Danube china is surely the one. Indeed, royal families of distinction have reverently chosen Blue Danube china's exquisite design for centuries. The design of Blue Danube china was first attributed to the German artist, Kandler, and is based on the most beautiful symbols of ancient Chinese and Far Eastern art. Blue Danube china depicts the flowers of good fortune and happiness, no wonder it's become the world's most famous pattern of all.

so....what story can you share about the choice you made?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually have 3 sets of china... The first was my grandmothers, very pretty, white with blue pattern. The second was my Moms from her marriage to my Dad. That one's prety too. White with gray flowers. The third is my favorite. It will never break and never has to be washed. It comes from my dear "Aunt DIXIE". It currently has green and yellow flowers on it (though at Xmas time, it has little trees or wreiaths ) But the best part is that when we are done eating on this "fine china", it goes directly in the garbage. you cant beat that!!!

gideonmommasita said...

My Dad gave me mine...at first I hated it but it has grown on me. My fine china was my parent's, which I cherish but your Blue Danube and story beats the Band!

Dee Dee's Diary said...

Aunt Dixie...very funny, Karen. Glad to see you are back online and IN YOUR HOUSE!

The Blue Danube is my everyday. I also inherited my mom's fine china. I have used it on rare occasions. I'll see if I can post a photo of that, too. I enjoy looking in antique shops for patterns of fine china. Some that in early days were EVERY DAY and I recognize because I'M OLD are now "collectibles" and fun to pick up for a dime.

CroppinRobin said...

where can you pick up anything for a dime?
i decided not to register for china when i got married because a. i needed other things more and b. i figured i would inherit set(s) from others. i now have my grandmother's and have yet to use it. however, it looks pretty in the china hutch, that i also inherited from my grandparents.

Dee Dee's Diary said...

You could have shared the story about your FIESTA WARE. I always thought it was funny how you were so particular about the different colors and wanting the plates - cups - bowls all different. And you even had specific feelings about which colors for which.