Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Sunday, August 19, 2007

My childhood home...


Doesn't look like much here...this is a photo from the early years. The house was built and designed by my parents. We moved there in 1953. My room was the front window on the left. Mark's room was beside mine. The kitchen was in the front. We had a HUGE back yard. My fondest memories are the many baseball games we played back there. Mark taught me how to hit, catch and throw. All the neighbor kids would come and we'd play all day in the summer. The house had a breezeway between the kitchen and the garage. Loved to sit and visit on the porch. This had to be a very early photo....we had a beautiful white fence across the front when I was very young..and I don't see it here. We also had the most beautiful flowering crabapple tree in the front. I will have to hunt up a 1970's photo. Had my first "boy/girl" party here...my first slumber party...shared a first kiss in my basement...lots of firsts.. the house had beautiful beech cabinets in the kitchen, and the entire back of the house was windows...it had a beautiful fireplace and mantel...and wide pine flooring throughout the house. My parents lived there until 1996...they sold it to our nextdoor neighbor's daughter. I think I shared....Don't ever go back...I did and was so sorry...better to have the memories...No one can redecorate them...so if you go back...go back in your memory...that's what I just did.

4 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

that was fun to read. i bet the photo was taken after the crabapple tree was taken down.

gideonmommasita said...

What a great house, for some reason I was thinking about it on my way to Publix tonight and wondering what your parents did for a living? Were they frugal? All the details you have given has given me a desire to know more. Do tell, love the stories.

Melissa said...

Your memories made me go there with you. Very descriptive. You can almost taste and smell it, you know what I mean? I love going back in time like that....

Anonymous said...

My mother was a stay at home, mom. My father was a drafting engineer. When I was young and asked on school papers to put my dad's occupation...he would say...tell them I draw FROGS...actually he designed railroad crossings and one of them is called a FROG.
My mother grew up in a modest home with 3 sisters, she was an identical twin. She had an older sister, her twin, and a younger sister. My Grandfather was a school teacher, principal and then Superintendent for 30 years. My grandmother was a homemaker. My father was an only child and his mother died when he was 13. His dad owned a foundry. My grandfather did very well financially. He gave my parents a house for a wedding gift and after a few years they sold the house, bought an apartment building...lived in one apartment and rented the other 3. Yes, they were frugal...but I don't think that was unusual for their generation. They grew up during the depression and knew how to do without. We could all learn a lesson from them.
It was a great place to grow up. I loved my house. I can still close my eyes and see every detail.
I'm tired now...but tomorrow I will tell you a funny story about my parent's bedroom closets...it's a good one.