Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Coming out of the closet...

My parents had twin closets...they were of equal size and were positioned side by side in their bedroom. The doors were wooden accordion doors...very unique. My childhood friend, Mary, and I used to play a trick on the neighborhood "not so's"...as in NOT SO smart. Here's how it goes...
My friend and I told the boys that Sara's house had an elevator. We would take them into my parent's room. They would go into my Dad's closet...we would close the door...leaving them inside...and then rearrange accessories in the room...bedspread, pillows....items on the dresser...and all the while...Mary would be pretending to be the Elevator operator...saying....1st Floor....2nd Floor...and then we would open the door...and they thought we were on another floor...we convinced them that to keep the elevator a secret...it was made to look like a closet...and we insisted that all of the controls were on the other side. NO ONE was to know that we had this elevator...it was a SECRET in the event of a war or bomb threat. In those days, people actually had bomb shelters built in their yards. One of my friend's actually had one. It was creepy, but I guess with the threat of the RUSSIANS they felt it was necessary. You must see The Russians are Coming...to understand the mindset of those years.
Anyway...we were quite successful in our trickery...the only question they ever asked is why does the house look like one story on the outside...and we just said, well if you could tell from the outside...then how could it be secret? And that was all they had to hear.
Thinking back...my only question is....How could my mom let us be in her room rearranging things?

8 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

That was exactly my thought, where was your mom and how funny that she didn't care that you were rearranging her room!
Those kids were definitely "not-so's". Umm....how weird that the rooms had the same furniture and the windows were the same...and when you looked out the windows you were looking at the same elevation.
Very creative though. Was that "back in the day" when kids didn't have 500 channels to choose from, video games, ipods, and such?

Michael said...

I was thinking more in the lines of why was your mom letting you and your friend bring boys into her bedroom and her closet for that matter. Hannah would not be allowed to let anyone go into our room. That is for sure!

CroppinRobin said...

yeah...boys in the room, that's right.
how funny, michael, you are blogging while driving down the interstate!

Anonymous said...

We were all little kids....did Michael Botley go into Hannah's room...what is wrong with you guys?

CroppinRobin said...

well, you didn't tell us how old you were.....

gideonmommasita said...

I feel like I am listening in on your after Thanksgiving Family reminiscing or a telephone party line. You guys bring a smile to my face, much better than primetime tv that's for sure.

Josh said...

And much better than thinking about Elise hiding boys in her closet!!!

Melissa said...

What a funny story. I miss the being a kid when I hear stories like that one. Michael is allowed to have girls in his room, but they are his sisters, so he doesn't want them there.