Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Friday, August 10, 2007

Over the River and Through the Woods...




to Grandmother's house we go...

After living in downtown Boca for 26 years, it was an adjustment to move to a 2 acre wooded lot in Tallahassee. I don't miss the noise and congestion. I have gotten used to the quiet....the bunny rabbits...the deer, the squirrels...there are owls...they make a little noise, but no trains...no loud concerts at Mizner Park...so loud our house literally shook. Jason has completed an amazing amount of finish work inside. He also built a small deck on the side of our house and most of the large deck surrounding our pool in the back yard. We have dreams (even at our age) of building a large shed with carport for Jason's tools...and then enclosing our current carport...at first I thought it would be nice to add a real room with fireplace....make it a game room with pool table....but now I think I would really enjoy a large screened in porch facing the pool. Eventually, I would like to pave our driveway and landscape our entrance, but for now...we are content to make memories for our Grandkids....my prayer is that they will always remember "going to Grandma and Grandpa's house ."

My Grandma's (my mother's mom) was always a fun place to go. My Grandpa and Grandma had two apartments upstairs in their house...they were converted after mom and her sisters were grown ....my Grandfather was Superintendent of local school for 30 years and he would rent the apartments to teachers. Anyway....my cousin and I were allowed to play in the apartments if they were vacant. They were fully furnished...so that made playing house so much fun. Grandma's house had some other neat features...she had a booth in the kitchen. I always thought that was so much fun...just like at the restaurant....and because my Grandpa had added a room onto the house at one point...there was a tiny opening in their bedroom closet that led to the basement stairwell. Apparently, it had been a door and he decided to close it in only partially...leaving this hole...we thought of it as a "secret passage way". You could crawl into the closet and disappear. Grandma also had a Murphy Bed. Do you know what that is????

It was a bed that folded down out of the wall. During the day, it looked like a double door closet...but at bedtime, the bed would come down and my cousin and I would crawl in and giggle all night. My Grandma was not a very good cook...and she was a terrible driver...but she was an accomplished pianist and always a lot of fun. When I close my eyes, I can picture the entire house, every detail in my mind...the porch swing, the french doors, the doilies that were screwed onto the chair backs with little push pins that looked like diamonds. I can see the quilts my Grandma made...and my Grandpa's desk and fancy ink pen.

Do you remember going to Grandma's?

6 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

Yep, I remember going to Grandma's. I love the Fresh Market because it smells like Grandma Peggy's house...fresh flowers, fresh veggies and homemade food!
My kids will definitely remember going to Grandma's. Hannah wearing your high heels and taking orders in her "Spice Restaurant". Jacob will remember blowing up frogs and burning up golf balls. I'm sure they will have lots of memories!

Anonymous said...

tell me a fond memory of Grandma Lucy's house.

Anonymous said...

whoops...

CroppinRobin said...

I remember her playing Randy Travis and Dolly Parton on her radio in the dining room...weird memory, I know.
I remember staring at myself for hours in the 'skinny' mirror in the hallway.
I remember one time I was visiting and she wanted to take me to a movie. I guess she wasn't exactly sure where she was going...and she had to stop at a gas station. I have no idea what movie it was...but I remember the drive there. She would gun it...and then coast, even on the highway. I remember construction barrels and her gunning it!
I remember another time I filed and painted her nails hot pink...she kept it on, at least until I left.

Anonymous said...

Love it.

Anonymous said...

OKAY ROBIN-----YOU GOT ME GIGGLING REAL HARD ON YOUR GRANDMA LUCY MEMORY-"GUN IT THEN COAST" I KNOW YOUR MOMMA WAS GIGGLING W/ THAT MEMORY TOO--THE SKINNY MIRROR-WHATTA HOOT TOO-----YOU GIRLS ARE KILLING ME---AHHHHHHHHH-IT FEELS GOOD TO LAUGH!