Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Ride of my Life....


December 15, 1982: A Special Day for Delta Air Lines
The dedication of Ship 102, The Spirit of DeltaIn the spring of 1982 the airline industry was suffering from a weak economy, high fuel prices, and the effects of an air traffic controllers strike. For the first time in 35 years Delta posted a quarterly loss. As a way of expressing their appreciation for the company during this time, Delta employees spearheaded Project 767—with a lofty goal to purchase the first Boeing 767 aircraft to give to the company as a gift. Lead by 3 flight attendants, the grassroots project focused on a voluntary program to raise $30 million through the combined efforts of employees, retirees, and friends.
The nearly impossible goal became a reality on December 15, 1982 when Delta employees gathered at the Technical Operations Center in Atlanta, Georgia to present the company with its first Boeing 767, Ship 102. Christened The Spirit of Delta, the aircraft was unveiled before thousands of employees and the international media. This historic aircraft, a visual symbol of that which makes Delta unique, has served as an ambassador of the Delta culture for over 23 years by displaying special liveries commemorating the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and Delta's 75th Anniversary in 2004.

The Spirit of Delta's Farewell Tour, February 21-March 6, 2006
After 23 years of service, The Spirit of Delta has retired. To mark this special occasion, Ship 102 embarked on a Farewell Tour to give employees, retirees, friends, and charities one last opportunity to be a part of Spirit's history.


One of the highlights of my career was being selected to participate in the Farewell Tour of Ship 102. I flew into Orlando for my farewell flight from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale on Feb 21, 2006.
I was SO EXCITED. What I didn't know was that I was about to have the ride of my life. Once I boarded, I was selected again....this time to ride in the Cockpit! This was amazing. When a Captain retires, it is a tradition to shoot a water cannon over the aircraft upon arrival. Since this aircraft was retiring, each time it arrived in a city, the Fire department had two fire trucks ready to shower the aircraft . They shoot the water over the aircraft from both sides and the plane rides under the arched shower. I watched as the plane arrived in Orlando...but watching from inside the cockpit upon arrival in Ft Lauderdale took my breath away. I still get teary eyed when I think about this experience.
I thought of this when you all were talking about careers. I never wanted a career, but God had a different path for me. I know that I missed out on some very important events because of Delta, but I also have been able to experience some really wonderful things, meet some of the best people in the world and be where I needed to be at a moment's notice and for FREE.

7 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

great post mom.
you are a loyal employee...a true delta girl.

Unknown said...

Riding in the cockpit!! How cool is that !!

Dee Dee's Diary said...

Yep...there are 2 Jumpseats in the Cockpit. One is on the back of the door...very uncomfortable...but I sat in the seat directly behind the Captain. It's there for FAA inspectors when they fly to audit Captains. I had my own window and could look right over the Captain's shoulder. Maybe Robin can figure out how to make my photos into digital ones and I will post a photo of the water cannon from inside the cockpit...just FABULOUS!

Unknown said...

OK Robin, get crackin! I wanna see the In-cockpit footage!!

Melissa said...

I can't wait to see that! If you're waiting on Robin, it may be a while. I've been married 10 years and I still don't have my wedding video! :)

gideonmommasita said...

The privilege and honor of the farewell flight was a fabulous event...the whole history of the plane wasn't a bad read either!

CroppinRobin said...

would you please hush up about the wedding video....how can I made a copy? hey, don't you have a vcr, dvd combo now? maybe we could transfer to a dvd.