Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Friday, January 11, 2008

Today in History


This is theKennebec River in Waterville, Maine...a very special place...and January 11, 1975 became a very special date in this place. It looked a little different on that day...33 years ago...it was COLD....about -40 Degrees ( true temperature- not wind chill) and there was a lot of snow...about 4 feet. I remember waking up and thinking..."Why did I eat so much ice cream last night"...and then it occurred to me...am I in labor? It was a Saturday morning....drove 20 miles over some bumpy dirt roads in our 1970 VW Beetle to downtown Waterville...Thayer Hospital. We walked into the hospital and the nurse asked if I were in labor...I thought she was asking if my husband was my neighbor..and said GOD NO! Anyway...once we got that straight, I was admitted. I arrived at the hospital at about 9am. I watched cartoons until about 1:30 pm when I started feeling too uncomfortable to watch tv. I was taken to a room and the labor intensified. I do remember the shift change ( about 3pm) and thinking I would have all new nurses...but the one assigned to me stayed. At 3:45pm I was taken to the Delivery room. My doctor finally arrived about 4pm and Robin was born at 4:13 pm....a natural childbirth...at 6lbs 6 ozs - 18 inches long...she was truly the most beautiful baby I had ever seen and she was so tiny. It was the happiest day of my life....and for the past 33 years....Robin has given me so much joy. Happy Birthday, my dear. I love you more today than words can say. You are still the most beautiful baby and a true gift from God.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Just for the record, you made me cry. That was so nice. I didnt know Robin was born in Maine??!?

Melissa said...

All 3 of my children were born in a different city, different hospital. Crazy!
Michael, Sioux Falls, SD
Lauren, Loxahatchee, FL
Emily, Gainesville, FL

CroppinRobin said...

thank you mom for a wonderful post. i love you and am very thankful God gave me to you - a wonderful mom!

Unknown said...

Both of mine were in different cities too. And if there's ever a 3rd, it'll be born in the mental hospital. Melissa, I dont know how you do it!!

Dee Dee's Diary said...

I thought you'd all be laughing about the "Is he your neighbor?"....I was OUT OF IT apparently.
Yes, I am blessed...and you all have beautiful children,too. It's almost the greatest thing in the world...to be a mom...but just wait until you're a GRANDMA. That is REALLY amazing.

CroppinRobin said...

actually, i had never head the 'neighbor' part...that is really funny.

Melissa said...

I just remember swearing a lot when I was in labor with Michael. Apparently being drugged is a much better way to go. I didn't swear at all with Lauren or Emily.

Dee Dee's Diary said...

I don't remember swearing...but I kept thinking...I CAN'T DO THIS.

Unknown said...

I think I was swearing WHILE I said "I can't do this...."

Dee Dee's Diary said...

Born in Maine...that's why she is a "Maine-iac".....LOL...LOL...LOL...Sometimes I am so funny I crack myself up