Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Thursday, October 9, 2008

30 Year Delta Anniversary




Today I celebrated 30 Years with Delta Air Lines. I began my career in Boston at the Reservation Sales Office on October 9, 1978. I was so excited to be a Delta employee. I worked there until May 1980 when I transferred to Miami Reservations. Being a part of a great company and working in a large call center was a wonderful experience. Traveling in those days was so much different. Does anyone remember PINK boarding cards? I know Robin does. When you got a PINK boarding pass that meant you were traveling in FIRST CLASS..and in those years that meant something. Linen Table cloth, hors d'oeurves, steak dinners, ice cream sundaes...it was really nice. In 1981, I began working in the City Ticket Offices and this is where I spent the next 20 years. It was the perfect job. I had an office on the island of Palm Beach, two blocks from Worth Avenue, 1 block from the ocean. The clientele - well you can imagine. I was just around the corner from Mar-A-Lago estate - now the Trump Estate...and The BREAKERS! Several celebs frequented my office. Brooke Shield's dad was a regular, Curt Gowdy, Frank Gifford...to name a few. Then on September 11, 2001, my life changed...just like your's did. I transferred to the Palm Beach Airport when a business decision was made to close my office. It was difficult then but I have loved the airport experience. Today I was "celebrated". My co-workers had a HUGE cake with a Delta "widget" and Balloons and cards and gift cards and then took me to Macaroni Grill for lunch. I was presented with my 30 Year Anniversary Service Pin....similar to the one I posted...except I have 1 Diamond and 2 Emeralds. A great day....as I wind down in my career, I am forever thankful for the years I have had to work for the BEST COMPANY. I have made so many wonderful life long friends, have traveled for FREE and have been able to enjoy a lifestyle that most would envy. I hope to travel more extensively before my days are through. Jason and I have never taken full advantage of my benefits. There are a few stops I'd like to make and now that Delta is a Worldwide airline, the possibilities are endless.

5 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

CONGRATULATIONS!
I'm so glad that they made a BIG deal of your 30 yr. anniversary. In today's society, it seems almost unheard of to stay somewhere for 30 years. Everyone is always looking for the next best thing. Heck, if you stay at one place for too long they think there is something wrong with you.
I'm proud of you.

gideonmommasita said...

Congratulations! A diamond and emeralds on your pin? They celebrate the right way. Robin is right, 5 years at a job is huge these days. Have any connections in Jax? :)

Melissa said...

Wow!!! You are such an awesome example of consistency to me, Sara. I've been very grateful for your time at Delta. It's allowed me to spend time with you and Robin in various places. Loved Hot Springs.....We need to make a trip to NY and I'll see if we can stay at my Aunt Joan's in Manhattan. We could see a show and go to LIVE with Regis and Kelly. Wouldn't that be so awesome? And, of course, we would have to hunt down some chips and salsa for me :)....

Dee Dee's Diary said...

I am ready when you are!!!! I think that would be so much fun. You and Robin are fun to travel with.
Regis and Kelly...YEP...would love that...and maybe the TODAY SHOW outside with goofy signs that everyone would see us...and a BROADWAY show....Call AUNT JOAN.

Dee Dee's Diary said...

I just re-read Robin's comment....don't you know???? There is SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME...LOL.
I am just glad I have finally finished something I started. There have been so many things I have started in my lifetime that have gone unfinished. I'm proud of myself on this one, too.