Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Collections


Have you ever had a collection? Most of us have. I remember collecting Trading Cards as a youngster. Everyone had trading cards. I had a shoebox full of the most beautiful cards. I collected Troll dolls...some of you may remember them. They had funny hair and were naked. They were about 2 inches tall. I remember Paula Bealafeld and I took them to school and we could prop our desks open with tiny pencils ( like the golf pencils) and our little trolls could stand there and we could see them but the teacher couldn't. I think I was in 5th grade.

I collected whales for the longest time and then miniature baskets. Hannah has some of the baskets now in her doll house...Each summer we go up to spend time in North Carolina with our dear friends the Turners and the Spradlings. Linda and I usually go to the Antique Shops...After my mom died, I inherited a mixing bowl...nothing fancy...just an "SV" item ( that's my brother's term - Sentimental Value) ...anyway....the bowl was one my mom used for years. She had gotten it for a wedding present in 1946. During one of my trips to NC, Linda and I found a cup and saucer of the same pattern. Then I started noticing all kinds of items in the same pattern. I made a few purchases...just because....and have them displayed in our dining room...I just love collections...Robin's great grandmother collected ceramic shoes. I have a pair....and she has a pair. In the antique shops you see many different collections...some were probably added to for years and years and cherished by the collector and now they are in a shop awaiting a buyer....spoons...salt and pepper shakers...you name it...but this summer I saw the WILDEST COLLECTION EVER.....

Wizard of Oz stuff. Julie's (my sister in law) neighbor and her husband are Wizard of Oz collectors. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. Hannah was with me. This gal has EVERYTHING (except an hour glass). She has the Wicked Witch, Munchkins, Ruby slippers. Her ENTIRE house is Wall to Wall OZ. She has cookie jars, puppets, stuffed animals, music boxes....It is really impossible to describe. I will try to add one photo...where is your treasure? Hopefully you are collecting heavenly treasures...those that will last forever...

6 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

I remember wanting to collect something when I was younger, since you collected whales. I collected seals for a long time, ceramic seals, glass seals, stone seals, seal posters....I have no idea why seals....Who collects seals?
After Michael and I were married I started collected Cherrished Teddies...now I could care less about them, can't even sell them on ebay!
Right now I think I collect hobbies and supplies for hobbies! I see something that I really want, and think...I can make that.
I think the only thing I have consistanly collected is DUST! I can't keep up with it!
Great post, Mom!

Melissa said...

pigs, me too. I wanted to collect something. They collect dust now.
I love to read your posts, Sara.
I collect debt now. I'm good at that. Pray for me.....:)

Johnna said...

Love the post. I love my SV items! I have started an album of my "Family Treasures" so that they can be passed on down the line and the next person will know why they are so special and where they came from.
I also collect cows and red & green depression glass. I love to go antiqueing!
BTW Thanks for leaving me a comment on my Blog...my family hasn't gotten into it...yet!

gideonmommasita said...

I have a small collection of tea cups but have axed any other collections because I hate to dust and want to collect money and is gathering too slowly. BUT I love to look in antique stores. Am loving how you end each blog with a question...thank you!

Anonymous said...

YEP-----MY OZ FRIEND IS A NUT & I LOVE HER! I'VE COLLECTED MANY GOODIES OVER THE YEARS TOO---PENGUINS, ROOSTERS, DREAMSICLES,AND--LIKE ROBIN-----I LIKE TO STAND AROUND & COLLECT DUST--(I ALSO HAVE MANY "SV" ITEMS--LIKE MY GRAM'S BIG WHITE BRIEFS-HA!I ACTUALLY WORE MY GRANDPA'S BOXER SHORTS FOR AWHILE UNTIL MARK HAD AN ISSUE W/ IT-----DUH-KINDA MORBID)---OH----HEY--COURTNEY & DELTON ARE GETTING MARRIED OCT. 11-----MY BABY IS THE FLOWER GIRL!!!!SHE'S GONNA BE THE "BUBBLE GIRL"!! INSTEAD OF DROPPING ROSE PETALS---- I'M GONNA BE A MESS!(I ALREADY AM A MESS---SO NO BIG DEAL!)-- CAN'T BELIEVE I SAID I WOULD VIDEO TAPE--I'LL NEED A BOX OF TISSUES----CALL ME FOR DETAILS... LOVE YA

Anonymous said...

So happy for Courtney and for Alexandra....bubbles...that is perfect. I will call this weekend for the scoop.