Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Monday, July 16, 2007

One of my Favorite Books

When Robin introduced this "blog" idea, I had NO IDEA how much I would enjoy it. A unique avenue to journal...to allow others to view your thoughts and even respond. At first glance, I recorded "Recipe Books" as my favorite books, but having had time to reflect....I'd like to add...a Mother's Day gift...given to me by my husband in 1989. Its THE HYMNAL for Worship and Celebration.

I remember begging my parents for a piano. My grandmother was an accomplished pianist. My mother and her sisters were all very musical. I continued to plead and after agreeing to take piano lessons, my parents purchased a beautiful piano. I never really stuck with it long enough, something I regret...but I did learn to read music. In Jr. High and High School I joined the Choir. I was even successful in tryouts for Triple Trio my Junior and Senior Years. I have sung in Church choirs and sing along with the radio in my car daily. All that to say...I love music.
But I never realized how dear my Hymnal was until a few years ago. Jason was having a very low time...and we used to sing hymns to feel better. The verse.. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,Ephesians 5:18-20 was the best medicine.

I know that music ministries in churches can sometimes cause division. Everyone has a different idea about what music is best. But I can tell you, for me, there is nothing like a good old fashioned hymn. Listen...

All the Way My Savior Leads me....What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy, Who thru life has been my guide?
Heav'nly peace, divinist comfort, Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know whate'er be fall me, Jesus doeth all things well.

or...can you hear this?

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art-
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.


Hear my cry Oh Lord, attend to my prayer
from the ends of the earth I will cry unto you
when my heart is overwhelmed
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Psalm 61

4 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

Mom, that was fun to read. And you had a link also! You really are getting the hang of blogging! You should add a hymn to your playlist....

CroppinRobin said...

The I've finally found someone and Amazing Grace don't work. AG cuts out and the other doesn't even play. I normally try to listen to the whole song before I add them, just in case. I a guitar version of How Great Thou Art, but it cut out 1/2 way through, so I deleted it.

Melissa said...

I haven't figured out the link thing yet. I couldn't even get the playlist down.
I love hymns. The words are so powerful.
I miss your comments DeeDee........

gideonmommasita said...

3boyJoyful, Joyful we adore thee... is the first but hopefully not the last hymn the boys have learned on the piano... we need a bucket to carry our tunes in.