Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Where do you come from?

I'm adopted! For as long as I can remember I have known that I was "chosen". I was always made to feel very special. I always understood that the woman who gave me life was the vessel God used but Lucile Schumacher was "my mom". When someone learns that I'm adopted, one of the first questions they ask...Do you know your real parents? I smile and without hesitation I say, Yep...Jim and Lucile Schumacher. What makes a parent "real"? So many thoughts about this...so many years to ponder...
Two women...both with extremely difficult circumstances...first...a young single woman...in the 1950's...pregnant...second...a young married woman who learns she is sterile and cannot ever give birth. Imagine...the first woman made a very brave decision. She decided to have the baby, and give the baby up for adoption. Don't know much about her....just that she was 18....unwed...and of Protestant faith. I was born in Maple Knoll Hospital, home for unwed mothers. Do they even have those anymore? I imagine she had wonderful loving supportive parents...given her situation. The second woman...married...wanting a family....and now devastated by the news that she can never have a child of her own. But God was weaving a beautiful story ...and before the foundation of the world, He knew...He chose the perfect family for me. He couldn't have picked better parents. I cannot imagine any other life than the one I have had. And He even chose a brother for me...the perfect brother for me.
When I first read the scripture ....Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,Ephesians 1:4-6, I completely understood. I was adopted... TWICE!
Funny thing about being adopted...whenever I am asked for medical history...I put N/A....and I'm not really sure about my ancestry...people say I look like an American Indian...possible...the Miami Indian tribe was from around my hometown....some say I look Spanish...I could be...but what I know for certain...is that I am beloved, chosen and kept...I am a child of the King....And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.Romans 8:16-18.

When people ask where I come from...I usually answer Cincinnati...but now you know "the rest of the story"....so ....where do you come from?

3 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

Deut. 11:19 "Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." I'm from the south, raised an Episcopalian in a Southern Baptist town. My grandparents were presbyterians. Being predestined through Christ is where I am from and where I am teaching my kids they are from.

Melissa said...

I love this post. I teared up a little. I never tire of hearing your adoption story. It's one of those, if I was a small child, I would say, "DeeDee, tell me the story of how you were adopted twice, again."
I love you and I treasure your mentorship in my life.

Anonymous said...

Lately, I have learned more from you, Melissa. I am so thankful that God allowed this cute little red head to cross my path in life so many years ago...Jason and I love you "to pieces" as I say...always will. I am so thankful that you and Robin remain close. There is nothing so sweet as a childhood friend that stays with you all of your life...nothing. I have a friend, Valerie...been friends since 10th grade...a very special bond.