Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians, 4. 8

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Special Needs

One of my favorite memories and movies was The Miracle Worker with Patty Duke as Helen Keller. I remember going with my mom...one of the few times we went to a movie together. We shared kleenex and were so moved by the story. I have watched that movie many times since. The life of Helen Keller...talk about an "overcomer". I was so pleased when Hannah chose to study and showcase her life for a school project. I remember being in North Carolina, it was a November visit. I was standing in Stan's lab and had called my brother to wish him a Happy Thanksgiving. He told me, "Alex is blind." Honestly, I didn't have any idea what to say, I was stunned. I felt like someone had punched me and I lost my breath. Immediately a verse came to mind, In everything give thanks...and I thought HOW? That was almost 12 years ago...and one thing I have learned...there are many kinds of blindness. It has not been difficult to give thanks for Alexandra, who is beautifully and wonderfully made and perfect in God's eyes. He who sees everything from before the foundation of the world created her. When I found Exodus 4:11, I found comfort. It is amazing to me, and I am ashamed to admit, that before Alex was born, I didn't really notice people with Special Needs. Funny, but now, I am so aware. Delta has a CRO's ( Complaint Resolution Officials)...and I am one. CRO's are called when a service failure occurs with a special needs passenger. Having Alex in my life has helped me be a better CRO.
I listen better, I empathize and I am more patient.
Each week I will share more about why I am thankful for Alex and how she has been a blessing to me and my family...until then...what do you see?

4 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

Today on our way to the library I noticed a blind man losing his balance because of the uneven sidewalk...I don't think I would have noticed it as strongly if Yohanna's dad wasn't blind and knowing his obstacles. Your scripture references are always right on. Thank you for your wonderful posts...do you proofread before you post? You must,they are great. I am blind to grace.

Melissa said...

Love it! What a beautiful illustration of God's love for us. He displays His splendor in the love that we have for those with special needs. Have you read Beth Moore's story of the hairbrush? Another great example. I will send it to you.
I love your music selections.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

WELL SAID... THANK YOU--------NOW PLEASE HAND ME A TISSUE... MY LITTLE TEACHER IS RESTING PEACEFULLY----NOW HER BIG , BAD MOMMA NEEDS TO DO THE SAME---LOVE YA-----LATER-------